Friday, June 6, 2014

The Best Advice I've Ever Received

Two years ago, when I was an awkward, terrified, newby, freshman at BYU, 

I was struggling.

I'm a perfectionist, a worrier, was going through a lot of change, stuck in the "want-to-be-independent-but-still-don't-know-how-to-make-my-own-dinner" stage, and I was unhappy.

I was regretting a lot of things about the life I had, but I didn't know how to change it.

I wanted to be happy, but I felt STUCK.

I felt like I wasn't good enough, smart enough, pretty enough, fun enough,

worth enough.

One day I was visiting my aunt and uncle (see my aunt's awesome blog ---->)
and their family in Spanish Fork.

I was talking to my uncle Desi 
(he's the coolest guy on the planet, and always has good advice).

He started talking to me about EXPECTATIONS. About how we have expectations for others, and expectations for ourselves. And it's when those expectations aren't being met that we feel sad and discouraged and depressed. So we have to let those expectations go.

What?

Let go of expectations? But what about everything I need to accomplish in life? What about building relationships with people? Shouldn't there be expectations for that? How do I know where to draw the line- when to expect something and when not to? What if I'm trying too hard? What if I'm not trying hard enough?

Then the answer hit me-

Let go of YOUR expectations, and live by GOD'S.

Boom. It all makes sense.

I mean, he's always saying stuff like, "Be still" and "Men are that they might have joy" and "Do not labor more than you have strength." And when God says something, he probably means it.

Let HIM be the one in control. Life needs to have expectations, but we don't have to worry about coming up with them. They are already put in place by our loving Father.

When I live by His expectations, I am SO much happier. 

He is merciful, joyful, peaceful, patient, and forgiving.

If I start living by my own expectations, I become my own worst enemy.

When I live by HIS expectations, I find true joy and peace.

I feel content, because I know He is content with me- just the way I am, flaws and all.

He's in control. He's got this. We just need to LET him.

Be still, and TRUST that he is YOUR God.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?